Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Two Blind Pilots

Two blind pilots both are wearing dark glasses, one is using a guide dog, and the other is tapping his way along the aisle of the plane with a cane.

Nervous laughter spreads through the cabin, but the men enter the cockpit, the door closes, and the engines start up. The passengers begin glancing nervously around, searching for some sign that this is just a little practical joke. None is forthcoming.

The plane moves faster and faster down the runway and the people sitting in the window seats realize they're headed straight for the water at the edge of the airport. As it begins to look as though the plane will plough in to the water, panicked screams fill the cabin. At that moment, the plane lifts smoothly into the air. The passengers relax and laugh a little sheepishly, and soon all retreat into their magazines, secure in the knowledge that the plane is in good hands.

In the cockpit, one of the blind pilots turns to the other and says,"ya know, Bob, one of these days, they're gonna scream too late and we're all gonna die."
______________________________________________
So, are you one of those people who sees something terribly wrong but thinks there might be an honest explanation and so keep your mouth shut? How about when your service is just awful or the food at a restaurant is bad. Do you speak up? Or are you quietly burning inside wishing later that you HAD said something?

So often we find ourselves in situations where we are faced with the decision on how to react. For instance, when someone is overtly rude to us at work in a smarmy, cocky kind of way, we can react in any of three ways:
  • We can 'be the better person' and just let it all slide off of us. (even though we know inside that we are just pissed!)
  • We can react with righteous anger and call them out for their remarks.(and risk that they act all innocent in front of everyone as if they had not done it intentionally)
  • Or we can plan ways to get even!

So which way do you react when faced with someone like this? Do you act differently depending on who it is, and what their 'status' is? Do you ever have regrets for how you have reacted?

As always, put your brave faces on and leave me a reaction

Have a great day!

18 comments:

Mike said...

Yes to the first two bullet points. It all depends on the situation and the other person.
The third bullet point takes a LOT of time and energy without much satisfaction and raises the chance of future retaliations. Which leads to more getting even which .......

Ronda's Rants said...

When I was younger...I would react in anger or at least make sure I said something. Now...I really try to show grace to the other person because you just don't know what is going on in thier life.
I am more patient if it's a teenager...I remember being a teenager sucked and sometimes adults are just abusive to teenagers!
It's most difficult if I witness unkindness to another person...then I feel this need to stick my nose in it!

Rhonda said...

My husband and I went out for my birthday supper, and the waitress was incredibly rude! Slamming drinks down on the table, ignoring us. It was awful! And I saw her doing it to others, who just sat there in shock also.

So I just went up to another waitress and asked her to move us to another section. That works as a slap to the bad waitress, and we still got to enjoy our meal. And the service.

However, I am one to keep my mouth shut in situations where I should be screaming my fool head off! For example:

http://adayinrhondaslife.blogspot.com/2008/09/spankin-monkey.html

http://adayinrhondaslife.blogspot.com/2008/09/stupid-girl-part-i-date-2.html

Tulsi said...

Seldom do I react in anger. I'm not an angry person. Most of the time I just let things slide. Especially in regards to waitresses. I was one once, and it isn't always their fault. The only time I really react in any way is when my character it called into question. I don't "poison pen" but I won't back down and state my self so that I don't lower myself. If you don't mention something when something is wrong, you are agreeing or saying that it is correct. Never have I been in a position that I've wanted to "get even".

Mike said...

Dropped - http://www.mikenet707.blogspot.com/

ADVERSE! said...

years ago i would always react with anger,as ive grown abit it all depends on the situation really,shops and resturants ect,always say if im unhappy but always politly.Freinds well.....im having issues of late,so id say..i say nothing in general.Aquaintenses probs pselled that wrong lol, i generally dont bother as there always arises a time where they make fools of themselves in front of you when sumone else puts them in there place.Love the way your posts make me think!

A Momma said...

I totally let it consume me and think of great things that I should have done. I'm super creative and snippy an hour later. Dang.

fiona said...

I've learned to temper my temper.

Rhonda said...

I'm like momma drama. I think of the best come-backs later and just reenact them in my mind till I feel better. No harm, no foul.

Unknown said...

i feel like I have matured with my age and do not like confrontation now but at times it can sure eat me up inside and i am like why didnt i say this or that....then i remind myself be the bigger person...
stopping by to say Hi I havent been by ina while-i was missing your blair witch esque profile pic

The Stay At Home Son said...

I have matured over the years. I realize that as I get up there in age, my snotty come-backs are much better honed and highly focused toward the intended victim.

EmmaP said...

lots of good advice! i had the unfortunate opportunity to let things slide off my back when my ex broke in this past weekend and i called the cops! yes - it was like an episode of cops at my doorstep. anyway - he came in, there was pushing and yelling, and trauma...nonetheless, i did not make him spend the night in jail. it was hi first offense, and i told him next time i WILL press charges. i think he was more in shock that i even called the cops in the first place. I am WOMAN - hear me roar!

Rhonda said...

I think I'm feeling brave now. Emma tell that dude to come to my house. I'll roar too! crazy! I hope you and kids are OK!

Confessions of A Mississippi Mom said...

I've mellowed out a lot in my older years, and every time I get mad at someone it always works out if I don't say anything b/c most rude people have something going on in their lives that are much worse then I can imagine...

cornnut32 said...

where i work, if someone was rude to me like that, i pretty much have to keep my mouth shut. they call it "being professional," which in my eyes is, "shut or mouth or you get fired."

i hate customer service.

i really enjoyed your little anecdote about the pilots, though. that could be applied any number of ways to life.

you should check out my blog--i love stalkers. especially ones that comment. :)

pictureofexperience.blogspot.com

Debie Napoleon said...

My temper flares and then I feel sorry after..

Well, most of the time.

Summer said...

I am one of those obnoxious people who would jokingly (not jokingly)ask the blind pilots what they were doing before they got into the cockpit.

Many many people can't stand me for this trait. I don't blame them. If there was one thing about me I could change, it would be that. Even if I was the only one on the plane who made sense. Sometimes it's more fun to scream with everyone else than to be singled out as the one who goes to cue the blind pilots.

Night Owl Mama said...

I used to be pretty reserve in my day but now that I have 4 children that make me a bit outspoken I let people know all about it.
Can you help me out with a votes. See my post thanks

My Fun Stalkers Who Rock