Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Music and my ipod


So peaceful looking, no? But I seem to remember my mom telling me not to go to sleep with headphones on. Something about rotting my brain away.
Anyway this post is more about MY music but I loved this picture and just had to fit it in.
Now, those of you who are regular readers know that music is a big part of my life. Maybe you do not know just how much I am into my music.
I posted before that I can find a song for any occasion. That is no stretch of the imagination. So often I find myself thinking this song or that song would fit as the background music in the scene of my life, happening right now. Of course, my mood can change what song is appropriate in what scene.
Anyway, I have all my music on several different hard drives. I have a back up just in case something goes terribly wrong. I then have two separate i-pods with the music stored on it.
But that is just the beginning people.
I have all this digital music still on cd. Yes, cd's, you know those compact discs your kids will soon have no clue about. I rarely if ever listen to them but have had to put them all back onto a windows media player when my system crashed and I lost them all. Hence all the backups nowadays.
But it gets worse still.....
.............................................................................................I have those old relics called cassette tapes. Not just a few either. I think I have about 700 still. Cassettes were my first music format. My collection really started with the cassette and the mixed tape. Yes, the mixed tape! You know, the tape you would make with all your favorite songs. My kids would gasp at the effort required to make a mixed tape back in the day.
And yet worse still............
............................................................................................once I was collecting music I started picking up lps. You know, vinyl records. You know, it has been said that music sounds the best on vinyl and I think I agree with those who say this. The problem is you can't take your lp's around with you very easily. And so I sacrifice the smallest of clarity and choose the digital more easily transferred and carried around.
SO, WHY THE HECK AM I POSTING THIS? well, the truth of the matter is that I can't seem to get rid of the old originals. The lps the tapes and the cd's. I feel like they are too important to just toss or sell. I have the music, and I hope that I would never need to re-download all of that music. But I can't seem to feel the value of the music on the computer as anywhere equal to that of the originals. Is it because this technology blossomed during my life and not prior to? I DO lolve this technology that has enabled a music lover to have his music everywhere and so easily.
Spouse sees all the space taken up by the lp's tapes and cd's and says we could use the space better. Probably but I stubbornly hold on to these "real" things. I don't think its because I think I still don't trust computers, but no matter how practical the argument I can't let them go..........
Is there hope?

10 comments:

Dianne said...

No, thre is no hope. For your husband getting the room, that is. I thought I was truly the last person in the world who still had ALBUMS. But, have you tried buying a needle for your record plaayer? Maybe the Smithsonian stocks them!

Blog Stalker said...

No, luckily they actually sell record players again. And they are cheaper than trying to find a new needle.

Got my eye on one as a matter of fact. One day.........

Rhonda said...

First off, I disagree with Dianne. I think that you ARE the husband. lol Will you EVER come out of the closet to at least confirm THAT much? lol

I can hear any song and remember EXACTLY where I was, what I was doing, who my boyfriend was, or was going to be, or just stopped being. lol I'm not quite where you are though. I can't pick a song for an occasion. I can sing along when I hear it, but I can't just pick it randomly out of my head because I know the lyrics would fit.

You are totally awesome at that! And i love your music choices!

And you know, if music is all that to you, and it's a matter of two or three (or ten) boxes in your storage area or your 'guy room' (lol) then I say have atter.

Rhonda said...

I think it depends. Do you actually *have the room* for said cd's, LP's and cassettes? If so then by all means keep 'em. If not ditch the tapes, and cd's but keep the albums. I think that's fair. Maybe spouse wouldn't mind a record cabinet (that's what it was called back in my day) in the bedroom.

I'm someone that likes things to be neat and I feel incredibly anxious and unsettled when there's crap all over the place. If your spouse is like me then the humane thing to do would be to let go of some. Just be reasonable and open-minded.

At the end of our days the *stuff* we've acquired will not matter at all...but the people around us and how we honored their feelings will. Good luck. Let us know what you end up doing.

Ronnica said...

I still have all my cds, but then again, I primarily listen to music in my car, so that's what I use.

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

I'm just like you! Have vinyls,
a lot of cassettes, primarily CD's.
Can't let go of them! They're a part of me.

Melissa B. said...

I love music, too...way too many LPs and CDs, and wonder if iTunes has a limit? The only era I never really cared for was the years featuring cassette tapes. Yuck! My favorite song right now is It's a New Day, by will.i.am. So inspiring!

Mike said...

Do NOT throw or give away your older formats. I still have music on a reel to reel tape player. The tape play is not working right now but it's fixable.

Blog Stalker said...

Wow Mike, now thats one format I never got into. I do hope to hold onto ALL my formats but we will see if I can throw out enough other stuff to make that happen!

Tulsi said...

I say keep it all. I got rid of so many cassettes that held so many memories and I could kick myself. We still have some records, but no means to play them. I missed the 8 track, although my mom had them.

My Fun Stalkers Who Rock