Times up. Is your first reaction to question that rule? I ask this because I happened to notice something the other day. It was outside of a business establishment that had a posted notice that there was no smoking allowed on their premises. I read this as I past an employee smoking right next to it. Where was my camera when I needed it?
Anyway, I laughed about how it looked, but it has got me thinking. Now, I am not posting this about smoking. This was just the incident that started this train of thought. See if you can follow me through this thought.
The more I thought about it, the more instances I was able to recognize in life where the rules were ignored. Let's visit a few just for giggles.
- The toddler who when told not to put their hands on something hot proceeds to do just that.
- The junior high student who when told not to have "certain" friends or listen to "certain" music, do so because it is what they were told not to.
- The high school student who takes up smoking or worse because they were told it was wrong
- The young college student who cheats on an exam or copies someones notes.
- What about at work: Do you steal paperclips? What about rules about gifts from clients.
- Taxes! Who can even follow all the different"rules" involved here?
- I worked with people who said, "oh yeah, you are not supposed to (fill in the blank) but everyone does, so just to let you know"
- Often do I see someone make left turn on red when there is no cop in site.
- Is it really a business dinner if it's watching Monday night Football with the buddies?
- Do we use the Car pool lane when we shouldn't?
- What about going through the express checkout with more than 10 items.
These are just a few of the everyday rules that are broken. There are some who will not break any of them. And then there are those who seem to break as many as they can get away with. The rest of us are all somewhere in-between.
So, are you a rule breaker?
What is the threshold for how serious you treat a rule handed down lets say at work?
Do you judge others based on what rules they follow?
What rules have you broken this week?
What rules have you seen broken this week?
Have a great week stalkers!